"When the years are showing on my face, and my strongest days are gone...You'll still be the one I want...You'll still be the one I want...You'll still be the one I want."

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Our lives are like water spilled out on the ground...

I can't believe how fast this year has gone by. I don't know if I'm the only one, but it seems like yesterday was my first day of school and tomorrow will be my birthday. But... Umm... We're way passed that. It makes me kind of sad; we don't even realize how quickly life is passing by until it's already gone.

It kinda gets me thinking...

I hate to relate everything back to math class, but, yesterday, my math teacher was explaining to class why a shortcut to finding the sample space of a number was needed, and he said something like, "you couldn't wrtie it out if you spent your entire life trying."
As if that thought wasn't morbid enough, spending your entire life working out an obnoxious math problem, what he said after gave me a lot to think about. Some girl challenged him saying you could figure it out in a lifetime, and he decided to prove her wrong by calculating how many years it would take to finish writing it out...

He wrote the number of years it would take to write out the sample space on the board and then compared the number of years we had in a lifetime, adding "if you're lucky."

40,000,000,000,000,000
                                   82

I almost got chills, seriously.

When you compare how long our lives are to how long some extensive period of time is the way my math teacher did, you feel a little... insignificant..


But, when you compare it to *eternity*... Oh, Lord.

I don't know about you, but I sometimes feel rushed when I think of how fast life goes by.

I have a lot of things I want to accomplish in a lifetime, and I feel like, if I dont start soon, they won't get done.

Another reminder of how life short is also came to me yesterday. I was reading 2 Samuel, and I came across this verse:

"All of us must die eventually. Our lives are like water spilled out on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again. But God does not just sweep life away; instead, he devises ways to bring us back when we have been separated from him."

That really did give me chills.
I read it like three times and almost cried. You know how people say scripture can "jump out of the page?" I think that one just grabbed me.

The saying is so cliche that I don't even know what it means anymore, but everyone always writes "live life to the fullest" everywhere, and I think I found the key to doing so, as alluded to by the second part of the verse.

The only way to really make something out of this dot of time we have called life is this: to know Christ and to make Him known. If there's anything worth it for eternity, it's this.

Think about it, evaluate where your time and energy is being spent, and what you consider failure and success, and then think of that big number compared to your life...


Is it really worth it...?


Gotta love my math teacher, haha.

2 comments:

  1. There's something about numbers that just have SO much significance in life! Like apart from the particular numbers that God designates to represent different things, numbers just have a way of keeping us... in awe. Especially when it relates to infinity and eternity. I love how you put it, "But, when you compare it to *eternity*... Oh, Lord." Made me stop where I was at, and I had a similar reaction to that!

    I don't know if you've read Bless Me Ultima in school, but the concept of eternity is so mind-boggling in that! If you haven't, we will have a conversation about it soon, we we will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I have not read that book (yet, maybe?), but, yes, let's please do have that conversation! Numbers can be so revealing. I think they're just a way of helping us get a small understanding of absolutely concrete ideas that we couldn't begin to imagine otherwise, like God's sheer magnitude! We wouldn't understand it if we didn't run out of numbers to measure space in!

    ReplyDelete