"When the years are showing on my face, and my strongest days are gone...You'll still be the one I want...You'll still be the one I want...You'll still be the one I want."

Monday, January 10, 2011

Fickle situations, people, their failed plans, and other strange things about being human (aka, me.)

Fickle...

Although a funny word, it is one I believe can go a long way in describing the thought processes, beliefs, and mindsets of not only people today, but people throughout history, even back to biblical times.

Nobody knows what they want anymore- and I am no exception. 

If you knew me at all, you'd know that some of my most important life decisions are made by way of "Eeenie-meanie, minie mo."

You'd know that I can't stand not knowing if the plans I have for the next day are going to follow through or fall through. 

You'd know that I absolutely {hate} when people change their minds about certain issues, but I can't seem to keep mine the same for more than two minutes.

You'd know that I stand up for my beliefs, but my beliefs may change on a daily basis, and this is only the start of it.

The word fickle, according to my handy-dandy iPhone dictionary, literally means "liable to sudden, unpredictable change" and "marked by erratic changeableness in affections or attachments."

Doesn't that sound a lot like us? Well, if you don't think that describes you, I'm just going to be honest and say I feel like the first definition is very suiting for me and my relationship with my maker. Very, very suiting.

We change our minds and desires based on what is going on around us, and we expect our maker to change with us. Yes, we see one thing, we pray a certain direction. We see another? We pray the exact *opposite* prayer. And, yet, we wonder why God doesn't answer us... Even though we did say "in Jesus' name." 

Now, our plans change according to our hearts and minds as well, and this means that sometimes we have some wicked, wicked plans, especially during those times that we're upset about our change in circumstances. Although we try not to show it, we all know we want to even change our minds about following this God that we believe in. We want to quit and just say "umm... I knew it would be hard, but I didn't know it was going to be *this* hard." You see? Fickle.

Thank God only the prayers of a righteous man prevail, eh? Because sometimes our own plans can be wicked from something leftover in our hearts. 

What I just got done describing is everything God is not. He is not subject to change, and He doesn't change His mind on plans He made due to some unwanted news.

God is the final say. He doesn't have it, but He is it, and if our lives are a big question, check "yes" or "no", I can only begin to wonder how many eraser marks are left by my own name.

God is constant. He is never- changing and never-ending. THANKFULLY, He chose me (and you) a long time ago, so we never have to wonder "what if He changes His mind about me and decides He doesn't want me anymore?" 

His promises always stand and His word never fails. Ever. 

He cannot tell a lie, and He is Yahweh and He is the same today, yesterday, and forever. 

The same, 
the only thing that's constant in my ever-changing and fast-paced world. 

The one I can always find in the secret, quite place. 

There's no "does He love me today? Did I do something bad enough?" Why? His never-failing word tells us Christ died once for all sinners, the righteous for the unrighteous.

 Who cares if everything around us is fading? He isn't. 

I may change my mind about what time I'm gonna go to church, or the bible reading plan I'm going to follow for a certain year, or even how I choose to serve God in my life some days, but there is one thing I will always know and will never change: the fact that God, this God who loved me so much, enough to take my place in death, is *my* God, and that I want to be in His presence for eternity. I have yet to (and will not, actually) change my mind about that. Never have, never will.

Since the day His grace found me, even my unfaithful nature submits to the fact that I have found a love worth dying for and, better yet, living for. 

I know sometimes our minds play tricks on us, friends, but let's decide that, from now on, let's try to take into account the sheer greatness of our God when making any decisions, and, surely as the sun will rise, He'll keep our eyes on the prize...
Himself.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us."

5 comments:

  1. THIS is what I love about God becasue no matter what we say or do, God's word is final. He says he loves us? Then he does. Period. It's final because Titus 1:2 says that God cannot lie! AMAZING! Well thank you for the post Emnet!
    ~Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, amen! It's really reassuring in times of doubt. Yupp, anytime, I love doing it, and your comments are so encouraging

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Reminds me that in my weakness He is made strong. This truly speaks so much to me, so thank you. And I love that last verse as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia, you are always such an encouragement- so I'm glad! No, no, thank YOU! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I was just telling Morgan this the other day...
    I sought after what I thought i wanted for a long, LONG time. Once I finally gave up on it, gave up on thinking I know what I want and trying to work things out for myself, God said "finally."
    You'll know what you want when you know what God wants...and right now, He probably wants Emnet's patience. Not just her patience, but her heart and her future, as well.

    ReplyDelete